This beautiful Grade II listed building lies to the north of Penistone on Manchester Road between the two villages it serves, Thurlstone and Millhouse Green. Built in 1905 thanks to the generous bequests of the sisters Mary and Hannah Bray, on land given by Hugh S Thomasson of Plumpton House. The foundation stone was laid on 5th November 1904 by Sir Walter Spencer Stanhope, KCB of Cannon Hall, Cawthorne. The total cost including fittings came to £7,500. The building was consecrated by the Bishop of Wakefield on 9th December 1905 and worshipping life began the next day with the celebration of Holy Communion.
Designed by C Hodgson Fowler of Durham, the walls are local millstone grit, lined with red Hollington sandstone, with pillars and arches of white Ancaster limestone from Lincolnshire. The original design had a tower at the west end but due to lack of funds this was never completed. The single church bell was given by local manufacturer, James Durrans, and is housed in an oak turret at the west end.