Early in the 20th century the small rural village of Oxspring, on the eastern edge of Penistone parish, had no worship place of its own and the villagers used to meet for services in the Day School. A piece of land was given for a Mission Room by Mr Dransfield in 1935, Sadly, this piece of land was considered 'of inconvenient shape from the point of view of building regulations'.
It was sixteen years later that the site on which the church now stands was given by The David Brown Corporation, at that time a major employer in Penistone. A combined church and hall was designed by Mr A H Greenhalgh, and built by the local building firm of Eric Cutts, at a cost of just under £7,000. Half of this was given by the Diocese of Wakefield, the rest being raised locally, and this included generous gifts of bricks and plumbing materials.
The foundation stone was laid on St George's Day 1959 by Mr G L Hancock on behalf of Mr David Brown, and blessed by the Bishop of Wakefield, the Rt. Rev. Eric Treacy.
On 28th October 1960 the church was opened by Mr Peter Hinchliff, and dedicated by the Bishop of Pontefract, the Rt. Rev. George Clarkson, St Aidan being chosen as the appropriate Patron Saint as he was the great missionary bishop of Northumbria at the time when Yorkshire was part of that great kingdom, and this was, after all, what was then known as a 'Mission Church'.